More integrated Valga-Valka central urban area
We aim at having more inhabitants of Valga and Valka recognizing Valga-Valka as a joint town. The programme supports revitalizing of the cross-border joint urban area of the twin town with two projects.
The first project, Valga-Valka Center, was supported by 3 000 000 euros in the 1st call for proposals in 2017. The construction works of the joint town center lasted from March to December 2020. The public opening event was held on 6 August 2021.
The pre-defined project Valga-Valka Recreational Area was selected for funding on 8 January 2021 through direct award procedure. After the implementation of both projects, the total size of the improved and revitalized cross-border Valga-Valka central urban area is expected to reach 128 000 m². Full information for priority 2 direct award procedure applicants.
Main activities in the pre-defined project:
- Cleaning 2 artificial Pedele lakes and Konnaoja/Varžupīte (e.g. removing excess flora and sediments, etc); creating resting areas and renewing the urban landscaping in the Pedele recreation area; improvement/reconstruction of existing sports fields and/or children's playgrounds;
- Creating pathways next to Konnaoja/Varžupīte, in order to improve pedestrian access to the new Valga-Valka Centre area; reconstructing Semināra/Sepa bridge;
- Reconstructing pedestrian paths from Sēlija Street till Ramsi bridge on both sides of the Pedeli river on the Valka side.
Project's main features
- All types of organizations and enterprises can apply;
- Co-financing from the programme can be up to 85% of the total eligible costs for all types of partners.
At least the following core organizations are involved in the partnership of the pre-defined project:
- Valga Municipality Government,
- Valka Municipality Government.